The aim of this qualification is to develop learners with existing knowledge and skills in gym instruction who would like to pursue a career in personal training.
Learners will cover:
- Further knowledge of anatomy and physiology applicable to personal training.
- Lifestyle and medical factors that affect wellbeing.
- Effective communication skills for client consultations to encourage healthy lifestyle behaviours and strategies for change.
- Skills to plan and conduct physical activity sessions with different types of clients in a variety of environments with a range of resources.
- Legal and professional requirements for personal training.
- How to set up and manage a personal training business on a self-employed basis if they wish to.
- How to manage, evaluate and improve own performance.
Learners must hold a suitable level 2 qualification in gym instructing.
The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential, therefore a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) and maths involved, so learners should have basic skills in communication and maths pitched at level 2 (as a minimum).
The learner must complete:
- Unit 1: Applied anatomy and physiology for exercise, health and fitness (F/615/4012).
- Unit 2: The principles of nutrition and their application to exercise and health (J/615/4013).
- Unit 3: Understanding lifestyle, health, wellbeing and common medical conditions (R/615/4015).
- Unit 4: Encouraging positive health and fitness behaviours in clients (Y/615/4016).
- Unit 5: Programme design and delivery for personal training (H/615/4018).
- Unit 6: Professionalism and business acumen for personal trainers (D/615/4020).
This qualification is assessed by:
- Multiple Choice Examination.
- Portfolio of Evidence.
- Practical Demonstration/Assignment.
This qualification provides progression onto:
- Active IQ Level 4 Certificate in Advanced Personal Training.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Supporting Pre and Postnatal Clients with Exercise and Nutrition.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Older Adults.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Disabled Clients.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Matwork.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga.
- Active IQ Level 4 Certificate in Strength and Conditioning.