This qualification aims to train learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes developing their skills knowledge to pursue a career in personal training. During the qualification learners will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology, functional kinesiology and concepts and components of fitness.
- Nutrition for exercise, health and fitness.
- Lifestyle and medical factors that affect wellbeing.
- Analysis of client information using the most accepted techniques.
- Assessment of a client’s current health and fitness status.
- Planning and conducting of physical activity sessions, within a variety of environments using multiple resources.
- Client consultations using the most accepted methods and providing strategies for successful behaviour change.
- Communication skills to effectively build successful relationships with their clients and other health care professionals.
- Legal and professional requirements for personal training.
- How to set up and manage a personal training business on a self-employed basis if they wish to.
- How to manage, evaluate and improve own performance.
Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
The learner must complete the eleven mandatory units
- Unit 1: Principles of anatomy, physiology and fitness (A/616/7499).
- Unit 2: Professionalism and customer care for fitness instructors (K/616/7501).
- Unit 3: Health and safety in the fitness environment (M/616/7502).
- Unit 4: Conducting client consultations to support positive behaviour change (A/616/7504).
- Unit 5: Planning and instructing gym-based exercise (F/616/7505).
- Unit 6: Applied anatomy and physiology for exercise, health and fitness (F/615/4012).
- Unit 7: The principles of nutrition and their application to exercise and health (J/615/4013).
- Unit 8: Understanding lifestyle, health, wellbeing and common medical conditions (R/615/4015).
- Unit 9: Encouraging positive health and fitness behaviours in clients (Y/615/4016).
- Unit 10: Programme design and delivery for personal training (H/615/4018).
- Unit 11: Professionalism and business acumen for personal trainers (D/615/4020).
This qualification is assessed by
- Multiple Choice Examination.
- Portfolio of Evidence.
- Practical Demonstration/Assignment.
This qualification provides progression onto:
- Active IQ Level 4 Certificate in Advanced Personal Training.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Supporting Pre and Postnatal Clients with Exercise and Nutrition.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Older Adults.
- Active IQ Level 3 Award in Designing Exercise Programmes for Disabled Clients.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Matwork.
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga.
- Level 4 Certificate in Strength and Conditioning.