This qualification is designed to provide learners with the knowledge to ensure safe and effective exercise programming for patients with a number of medical conditions and common reasons for referral onto a community-based exercise referral scheme.
The learner must hold either a suitable Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym, Exercise to Music or Water-based Exercise), Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training, Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates Matwork or a Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga or equivalent.
The learner must complete:
- Unit 1: Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health (A/600/9051).
- Unit 2: Professional practice for exercise referral instructors (Y/503/7493).
- Unit 3: Understanding medical conditions for exercise referral (R/503/7492).
- Unit 4: Applying the principles of nutrition and physical activity (L/600/9054).
- Unit 5: Planning exercise referral programmes with patients (D/503/7494).
- Unit 6: Instructing exercise with referred patients (L/503/7491).
This qualification is assessed by:
- Multiple-choice exam.
- Portfolio of evidence.
- Practical demonstration/assignment